Forty-nine per cent of university students across Canada did not use a condom during their last sexual encounter, found a recent study commissioned by Trojan and developed in partnership with the Sex Information and Education Council of Canada.

This statistic is staggering, given the risks posed by having unprotected sex, and the numerous resources available to students.
Even if other forms of birth control are being used, condoms are the only form of protection that reduces the risk of contracting sexually transmitted infections.

Condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are a highly effective means of preventing the sexual transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

As the signs in Carleton’s clinic will tell you, friends shouldn’t give friends chlamydia.

Chlamydia and gonorrhea are the two most common bacterial STIs in Ottawa, according to Ottawa Public Health. In fact, the number of gonorrhea cases diagnosed in Ottawa has more than doubled since 2000.

At Carleton, condoms are readily available, free of charge, in an abundance of locations.

Students can pick them up at the Carleton University Students’ Association office, Mike’s Place, the Graduate Students’ Association office, Health and Counselling Services, the residence desk, Student Experience Office, and the RRRA office, among other locations.

The fact that nearly half of university students aren’t using condoms is ridiculous, and students should be taking advantage of this unprecedented level of access to condoms on campus. Be on the safe side.