Ottawa’s branch of Planned Parenthood is facing serious threats from municipal funding cuts and increased protest from local anti-abortion activists.

As a result, the non-profit organization has had to reduce its services it provides for women. These services include counselling and sex education on reproductive health; it’s not just about abortions, it’s about helping women understand their options.

With strong work, resource and research relationships with Carleton, and many students using Planned Parenthood’s services, this is concerning for the Carleton community.

Planned Parenthood’s executive director warned understaffing from lack of funding would result in less co-ordination with Carleton and promotion of services for students. Funding from city hall has dropped 10 per cent in each of the past two years.

A local anti-abortion activist is taking aim at Planned Parenthood’s donors, such as the National Arts Centre.

Under strained funding, the organization had to recently turn away a woman seeking counselling whose abusive partner was trying to force her to have an abortion.With that in mind, the Carleton community must take note of the impact thinned services will have on the women who need it.