If a tuition cut is made, it must be made for all students. Not just ones that meet a specific economic, academic, or job market need.

A proposed tuition policy from the Ontario Progressive Conservative (PC) party would only allow enrolment growth in programs that train students for jobs that are in high demand. The PCs say they also want cuts to tuition for students who are doing well academically and want tuition growth to be based on quality and accessibility improvements at schools.

The proposed policy discriminates against students in less employable programs. Students deserve to study what they want to, and should not be put at a financial disadvantage for choosing to study something that won’t automatically lead to a job. It’s an individual’s decision to decide what they study.

Our education should not be determined by job market demand. Besides, jobs in demand now might not be in the future.The PCs are implying that studying programs like philosophy or the arts is a luxury, one only available to people financially able to pay more tuition.

There are also many reasons why students might not get straight A’s in school or need to be part-time, factors sometimes beyond their control. Many students need to take a job or two to pay for tuition. That might mean not being able to get the best marks.

There are many other incentives that reward students for studying for jobs that are in high demand, for having a financial need, or obtaining a certain level of academic achievement. There are scholarships, grants, and OSAP. What there isn’t right now is an overall cut to tuition for everyone, no matter your age, full-time status, financial situation or academic abilities.