The province of Ontario is conducting research to look at changing how universities are funded. Outcome-based funding is one of the funding models being considered, in place of funding based on enrolment. Under the current system, universities increase their enrolment despite limits to infrastructure, housing, and expansion capabilities.

The current formula also includes marketing to international students to make up for stagnant growth in Canadian enrolment numbers. This puts a strain on services, such as mental health counselling and other resources on campus.

But exactly which outcomes are most worthy of funding must be clearly defined and well-investigated to be sure universities can’t manipulate these numbers. This could be regulated through well-defined legislation to monitor how universities are faring in achieving these “outcomes,” and an independent body to confirm it.

The strategy will need strict regulation to ensure funding is given for legitimate causes. These should include holding classroom sizes to a respectable number, service centres, and efficiency of administration centres such as registrar’s offices.

The current system that gives the most money to the universities with the most students is simply not sustainable as many schools are expanding too quickly to provide necessary services to the students they already have.