McGill University’s internal review of Dr. John Corbett McDonald’s research into asbestos falls seriously short of normal review standards, and compromises McGill’s research integrity and the integrity of its faculty and students.

The Quebec Asbestos Mining Association indirectly gave McDonald $1.1 million between 1966 and 1974 for asbestos research, according to a CBC documentary. McDonald’s research was then used for decades by the asbestos industry to promote the hazardous material abroad. Asbestos is now acknowledged to be one of the most hazardous industrial materials to be produced, and its use is severely limited in most western countries, including Canada. Its export to other countries with looser regulation is still legal, however, and until recently, Canada was one of the world’s largest exporters of the substance.

The internal review made no effort to reach out and consult the many critics of McDonald’s research, whose ranks include prominent researchers, activists, and health care professionals here in Canada and worldwide. The review absolves McDonald without any reservations and finds no fault with the very glaring conflict of interest he faced.

McGill could have used this opportunity to showcase its commitment to research integrity. Instead, it chose to try to protect its reputation. In doing so, the university has allowed its name to be dragged through the mud, and has taken the country’s reputation with it. It has aligned itself with flimsy research and private industry, rather than strong academics and independent research.

McGill should conduct a fresh, external and transparent research review that will take a much more comprehensive look at McDonald’s research. The new review should be fair, hold public consultations, allow the informed opinions of McDonald’s critics and take a stronger stance on private funding in public research.

Anything less is unworthy of a university that claims to be one of Canada’s best.