Calling someone a fag is not cool, and it never was.

Words like “gay,” “faggot,” “homo,” “dyke,” and “tranny” are hateful and offensive. They promote discrimination and violence. For all the advancements that have been made in gay rights, homophobic words should no longer be acceptable, ever.

Changing the word you use is one of the most basic and easiest things you can do. It’s important to really think of where these words come from and what they mean when they’re said.

When you say something is “gay” when you mean it’s stupid, what are you saying about people who don’t identify as heterosexual?

The website Nohomophobes.com has been tracking the use of homophobic words on social media. The word “faggot” has been tweeted over 3.5 million times in less than four months, according to the website.

Social media sites are not just about what you’re saying to your friends. They are about what you are saying to the entire world. Make a pledge to eliminate the use of homophobic words in your conversations, both in person and online. Hold your peers accountable for the words they use as well. Next time someone says, “that’s so gay,” ask them what they mean by that description. Suggest a different word they could use.

It’s not about shaming someone or making them feel guilty. It’s about providing the opportunity for them to rethink why they use a slur.