The experience is not uncommon—sitting and talking with someone as a single ear bud sits in their ear, inevitably diverting half of their attention to whatever it is they’re listening to. Or maybe you have seen that one person in a group gathering that has both headphones in, ignoring everyone and everything surrounding them.

Headphones are a fairly recent invention, newly popularized by personal music devices and cellphones. As the generation who has spent the most time with this specific social-yet-anti-social kind of casual ear bud use, it is up to us to establish a new form of tech etiquette.

While there are certain situations where headphone use is appropriate, such as commuting, studying or spending time alone, headphone use needs to be moderated when using them in certain social situations.

An easy-to-follow tip: in any situation where you know you will be specifically addressing another person, personal headphones should be removed completely. This especially goes when dealing with service workers such as baristas or clerks. Remember, ordering or going through a check-out is still a two-way conversation that requires both parties’ full attention.

Sitting and talking with someone while having one headphone in should also be addressed, and perceived as comparable to talking on the phone while trying to hold a real-life conversation simultaneously.

If listening to music is a passion for you, utilize as much time on your own as you can plugging in to your tunes, but not when someone else is requesting your full attention. Assess the social situation you’re in, and make the appropriate decision accordingly when using headphones.

Ultimately the decision is yours whether music is a personal or collective experience for you, but using headphones for a personal music experience should never impede on those around you. As with cellphones and computers, we should not be using headphones as a crutch to avoid uncomfortable social situations. If you’re with a group, suggest listening to music collectively—you might find some undiscovered shared interests beyond the music.