While celebrating the achievements of team Canada at the Olympic Games this summer, Carleton students should pause to recognize the achievements of those who once walked the same halls.

Foil fencer Kelleigh Ryan and slalom kayakers Michael Tayler and Cam Smedley are three Carleton alumni participating in the 2021 Olympic Games. This is something to be celebrated.

Last week, Ryan, who was born in Ottawa and studied political science at Carleton, finished eighth in individual foil fencing. Tayler, who graduated from Carleton with a degree in law and history, came 20th and 24th in his heats. Finally, Smedley, who graduated from Carleton with his bachelor of mechanical engineering, came 17th and 15th in his heats.

While Canadian sports fans are often quick to focus on internationally acclaimed athletes such as Simone Biles and Daniil Medvedev, it is important to remember those who represent us at the Olympics.

The Olympics offer Canadians a chance to celebrate national pride in sport on the world stage. This chance is not afforded year-round since professional leagues such as the NBA or MLB often focus on international and Americanized coverage of sports.

Young Canadian athletes should see themselves represented in internationally celebrated sport. Seeing oneself represented in sport encourages participation. Showing young Canadian athletes that others have been internationally recognized reminds them that with dedication and drive, they too can be recognized for their strengths.

It is crucial in moments like these to recognize we are all capable of great things, and Canadians should take time to celebrate those who came before us. Even once the Olympics end, Canadians can support these athletes at home and recall the awe-inspiring athletic feats our own citizens have accomplished.

Featured graphic from file.