WARNING: This article contains mention of suicide.

If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, contact:

Mental Health Crisis Line: 613-722-6914 (within Ottawa) and 1-866-996-0991 (outside Ottawa)

Distress Centre of Ottawa and Region 24-hour Line: 613-238-3311

Youth Services Bureau 24/7 Crisis Line: 613-260-2360 or 1-877-377-7775 (toll)

Canadian universities, provincial and federal governments need to invest more in nursing education programs to combat a looming nursing shortage and burnout.

Occupational burnout among Canadian nurses is not new. A pan-Canadian study by the Canadian Federation of Nurses Union in 2019 found a litany of concerning statistics: One in three nurses screened positive for major depressive disorder, one in four screened positive for clinical burnout and one in three reported having suicidal thoughts.

The pandemic has exacerbated this burnout. A survey conducted in 2021 by the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario found 13 per cent of registered nurses aged 26 to 35 reported they were likely to leave the profession after the pandemic. About four per cent plan to retire now or immediately after the pandemic.

There is hope, but there are also challenging obstacles. Universities across Canada, such as the University of British Columbia and Ryerson University, have seen surges in applicants for their nursing programs. However, demand currently far exceeds supply, and these universities are turning away hundreds of applicants due to limited spots.

For the sake of Canadian health care and for the frontline workers who have worked tirelessly throughout the pandemic, greater investment in nursing programs is vital. 

As a case study, in B.C., the Advanced Education Ministry said it is adding 500 new seats to nursing schools, representing a 25 per cent increase to the 2,000-plus seats currently offered each year by B.C. nursing programs.

More support is necessary. The B.C. Nurses’ Union said more than 23,000 additional nurses will be needed by 2029 to staff B.C.’s health-care system. Investing in nursing programs and increasing placements for nursing students can help solve staffing shortages.

As an election promise, the federal Liberal Party pledged to spend $3 billion more on health care to help provinces hire 7,500 new family doctors, nurses and nurse practitioners. This is a step in the right direction, but hiring is dependent on education. As seen in B.C., it is increased programming that is paramount. 

Universities, as well as provincial and federal governments, must come together and invest more in training additional students to become the nurses Canadians need. The interest exists in aspiring nurses and Canada must capitalize on it.

Featured graphic from file.