There’s no doubt that when an organization like the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) amends its constitution, its leadership and members need to be made aware of what changes have been made. Unfortunately, RRRA’s constitution contained unknown changes or “omissions” when it was approved Jan. 22 — seven whole pages worth.

The new constitution didn’t just shed procedural fluff either. Important definitions and safeguards against mischief were deleted. Two standing committees were erased from existence.

RRRA executives Kaisha Thompson and Omar Bainto have emphatically denied any wrongdoing. They have taken steps to reverse the constitutional changes and improve RRRA’s office and online security. For this, RRRA executives deserve some praise. However, how no executive or floor representative noticed any of these “ghostwritten” changes before the 2011-2012 constitution was passed is beyond belief. There’s really no excuse for it.

Thompson confirmed she was informed of the missing sections of the constitution long before this story broke. Despite there being seven fewer pages in the new document and having been warned at least once, no RRRA executive noticed that any sections of the constitution were missing.

RRRA executives do have many responsibilities. They represent the largest residence association in Canada. One of those responsibilities is to carefully read the constitution. The document might be dull and boring, but most constitutions are. RRRA executives, please, read the constitution in its entirety before amending it. Not only is it your duty, it’s the most effective protection against future intrusions by “ghosts.”