“Knock, knock.” “Who’s there?”

A waste of time and resources, that’s who. 

Ahead of the Panda Game between the University of Ottawa (U of O) Gee-Gees and the Carleton Ravens, Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) is planning on going door-to-door to warn people that Panda will be loud. 

Every year, the gamewhich will be held Oct. 5 in Lansdowne Parkattracts thousands of student partygoers from Carleton and U of O alike. 

Rather than wasting the resources it would take to send CUSA employees to knock on every single door in the Glebe and Sandy Hill, CUSA may want to consider spending that time encouraging students to behave and consume responsibly. 

Last year, Ottawa police increased their presence around both university campuses, as well as the Glebe and Sandy Hill during Panda, citing concerns about increases in excess and underage drinking, open liquor, mischief, and disturbances. 

Several residents of Sandy Hill formed a group to call for action against the disruptive and destructive parties that took place in their neighbourhood after the 2018 Panda Game.

Going door-to-door to warn residents of an issue that they likely have already experienced in past years won’t help control unruly and illegal behaviour by drunk students. 

Instead, CUSA should go class to class and tell students why it’s important that they celebrate without getting themselves into trouble with the law or putting their safety at risk.