Home Opinion Editorial: Don’t underestimate the value of on-campus education

Editorial: Don’t underestimate the value of on-campus education

37

We are constantly hearing that like everything else in life, education is transitioning into a digital era. President Roseann Runte wrote a letter last month in the Globe and Mail discussing Carleton’s role in this changing environment and her hopes for how it will adapt.

She mentioned MOOCs, an open learning system where students can take classes at other universities online. And while it seems futile to fight against this transition completely, in order for these types of learning environments to be successful, other measures must be put in place.

The value of both social interaction and hands-on experience in a university environment should never be underestimated.

As classes move online, there should be a call for mandatory discussions and workshops, where students can actively engage with their peers and feed off the energy and passion that a computer screen lacks.

Office hours with mentor professors should be increased—and also be mandatory. Guidance, wisdom and advice from professors is important to both academic growth and career prospects in the future.

Finally, extra-curricular activities should be made intra-curricular activities. If all courses are online, students need that extra push to become involved and garner some hands-on experience.

MOOCs may be the idea of the future, but that idea needs a bit of tweaking.