Ottawa’s annual Pride parade celebrating sexuality and gender diversity in the city is arguably one of the city’s biggest community events of the year.

It drew over 3,000 people this year, including, in all likelihood, potential university students. More importantly, it likely attracted potential gay and transgender Carleton students.

Given that fact, it’s sad that the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA), while showing up, barely made an effort to engage the community. They did attend, and it’s important to note that executives Rawan Abujoub and Maddy Porter, along with members of the Gender and Sexuality Resource Centre, were at the parade sporting CUSA Pride t-shirts, but the overall effort was lacklustre.

This isn’t to say that the Carleton community as a whole didn’t make an effort. The Graduate Students’ Association (GSA), while only having a few people show up, did have a banner and were distinctive from the pack.

The Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) made the most outstanding effort. Not only did they have a rainbow RRRA sign, they had more attendees than CUSA and the GSA.

Also notable was Acacia Fraternity. With a float and t-shirts noting “brotherhood doesn’t discriminate.”

CUSA’s bigger than the other Carleton student groups participating, yet it had the smallest showing. This is important both for CUSA’s reputation and the students it represents.