In the past week, the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) has come under criticism for a series of events, including president Fahd Alhattab opting out of voting for or against increasing tuition. There was also the final call from the constitutional board, among allegations of conflict of interest, to disqualify the Change slate (and by extension, the elected vice-president (student services) Ashley Courchene).

The disqualification of Courchene means Your Carleton’s candidate, Frena Hailekiros, will be the vice-president (student services.) Your Carleton will constitute the entire CUSA executive council with no internal opposition. This has brought forward strong voices, sparked a website in protest, and a motion has been filed to disqualify Alhattab and Hailekiros.

Until releasing a statement this week, CUSA has remained publicly silent to the unrest among students about the constitutional board’s decision.

CUSA is meant to represent the interests of undergraduate students and not taking action in response to these criticisms is irresponsible and disrespectful. Releasing a statement was the first step in acknowledging student concerns, but there is more to be done. CUSA should consider holding an emergency meeting to come up with a way to somehow resolve student concerns.

As the semester closes, frustration with Alhattab and his executives is rampant. CUSA should choose not to end this year—or enter a new one—with its constituents dissatisfied with its actions and confused about its motivations.