When it comes to educating students about the federal election, Carleton is being put to shame by its own students’ association.  

Ahead of voting day on Oct. 21, Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) has taken it upon itself to educate students about the federal election, providing them with resources they can use to learn about key issues and the various party platforms.

In addition to co-hosting the Ottawa Centre all-candidates debate on Oct. 2 in the University Centre Atrium, CUSA is juggling multiple election campaigns on social media, including “CU At The Polls.”

While Carleton did eventually join in co-hosting the debate alongside CUSA and Carleton Academic Student Government, it did so after much of the planning was already done by the student groups. 

So far, the university is not hosting any election events geared towards students on its own. On Oct. 7, Carleton is hosting an election primer event for diplomats. Diplomatsnot students. 

It’s sad that CUSA has to “fill in the gaps,” as president Lily Akagbosu told the Charlatan, where Carleton hasn’t. Carleton could easily host a similar event for students, which the student body could benefit from.  

Carleton cannot neglect the value of the youth vote, and the importance of ensuring students have the resources they need to cast an informed ballot.

The Charlatan’s editorial ethics guidelines can be found here.

File photo.