Carleton’s FutureFunder, a crowdfunding program set up by the university, lists projects ranging from a buckets to rain barrels initiative to a call for more accessible gym equipment.

While many of the projects deserve funding, it is not fair to rely on students, faculty, and community members for project funding the university should be paying for.

Accessible gym equipment is required for anyone who is physically disabled to use the gym. How is it fair that their ability to do so hinges upon whether enough people reach for their credit cards and donate?

The Carleton Disability Awareness Centre started the crowdfunding campaign with a goal of $6,500, but this should have ended with an email to the administration:

“Hi, people in wheelchairs need this equipment to work out. Can you buy a few?” “Yes.”

While Carleton touts its “most accessible campus” mantra, it isn’t following through.

Another project on FutureFunder asks for donations to fund a heritage symposium through the School of Canadian Studies, with a goal of $1,000.

The symposium is in its 10th year, but requires extra funding to make it special for the anniversary. It’s hard to believe the university doesn’t have $1,000 to ensure the event is a success and so the Carleton community must fund it.

A crowdfunding site is an awesome idea. Many projects on FutureFunder are outside the university administration’s jurisdiction and should enjoy community funding and support to ensure they go forward.

But the site presents a problematic future for Carleton—one where it’s the responsibility of the already-paying community members to fund projects the university should be funding themselves.