Carleton Athletics’ creation of women’s only and trans and allies fitness bookings is a strong step toward creating a comfortable environment for anyone who wants to use the Carleton gym.

The women’s only bookings will be held in the Fitness Centre with new black-out blinds to “accommodate various needs within the community,” Athletics said in an announcement. Bookings are available on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

The trans and allies fitness bookings take place in Carleton’s personal training studio and will allow LGBTQ+ gym goers to work out with “physical and psychological safety,” according to Athletics.

Gym harassment and intimidation among women is common. A 2019 American survey found women are more than twice as likely as men to have been sexually harassed at the gym.

The survey also found that women are more likely to change their gym routine due to sexual harassment. More than one in three women said they have switched gyms or stopped going altogether due to sexual harassment, compared to only 17 per cent of men.

Likewise, gyms can also be an intimidating place for the trans community. A 2010 Australian study found 25 per cent of trans people had experienced insults in connection with sports, while 58 percent of trans participants reported avoiding playing certain sports because of their gender identity.

In the same study, 29 per cent of LGBTQ+ participants said they felt the mainstream gym they went to was not welcoming of trans people. Anecdotally, trans advocates report fears of being outed in locker rooms or harassed for their identity while working out in mainstream gyms. 

This clearly demonstrates the need for dedicated women’s only and trans fitness bookings. Fitness and exercise are undeniably important to physical and mental well-being, and everyone should feel comfortable enough to use any facility, especially one meant specifically for Carleton students.

By offering women’s only and trans and allies fitness bookings, Carleton Athletics is making progress towards a future where everyone feels comfortable working out.

Featured graphic from file.