It is easy to look at Carleton University’s crosstown rivals and scoff at the post-Panda Game partying that took place in Sandy Hill. But while uOttawa students are taking the heat for flipping a vehicle, Ravens should not have a holier-than-thou attitude when it comes to those uOttawa parties.

Partygoers on Russell Avenue flipped a car and Ottawa police have been heavily criticized for their lack of preparation. Ottawa police released photos of 13 individuals they hope to identify.

Mathieu Fleury, city councillor for the ward that includes Sandy Hill, said he wants next year’s Panda Game cancelled as well as criminal charges laid

It’s easy to scoff at the behaviour of uOttawa students and believe Carleton students would never do the same, but the exact same thing could have happened at Carleton parties—especially if the Ravens won. University parties often get out of hand. It’s also improbable the Russell Avenue street party was selectively uOttawa students—some Carleton students joined the crowd and deserve partial blame.

Partying is not the problem. The Panda Game is one of the best traditions in Canadian university sports and partying before and after is often an essential part of the experience. But we need to party safely and responsibly.

It’s important for Carleton students to realize the mistakes from the Panda-monium could have been made by them if the Ravens had won. In the future, students should take caution to ensure parties don’t get out of hand, as it could mean the eventual cancellation of the Panda Game.

Featured graphic from file.