When Sock ‘n’ Buskin held Shakespeare’s Love’s Labour’s Lost this week in Kailash Mital Theatre, the lack of attendees was palpable.

It highlighted the fact that the theatre is far too large for most campus group productions.

When The Vagina Monologues was held in the Minto Centre, it felt like the audience was encroaching on the stage’s space.  It is not a proper theatre venue, and Carleton needs to build a new space, or have another space retrofitted to accommodate student groups.

The ultimate benefit of a designated space could be lower rental fees, which is not only ideal, but necessary for many groups.  Shows that are normally played at Rooster’s could have their own space, rather than crowding the coffee shop.

There needs to be a permanent space to book shows, events, and more, especially when enough tickets aren’t sold to meet the rental costs. Not every group on campus can afford to rent the mammoth that is Kailash Mital Theatre.  A smaller space would also generate revenue.

Carleton needs to look into options for retrofitting.  What we have now is not adequate, and people need resources like appropriate lighting and change rooms for their productions.

Otherwise, it excludes a number of groups from participating in creating a thriving arts community, not only for Carleton, but for Ottawa.