The University of Ottawa (U of O) recently won a partnership between its faculty of medicine and a well-known university in Shanghai, China.

This is the first partnership of its kind, where the Chinese school—Shanghai Jiao Tong University—will be adapting to the North American medical school model, according to the Globe and Mail.

Canadian post-secondary institutions often create partnerships with each other, such as the co-op programs between Carleton and U of O, or between U of O and Algonquin College.

But international partnerships are an excellent way to expand a university’s influence and experience beyond just one city, province, or country.

Since the United States and Canada have similar post-secondary education models, more partnerships should be struck between our universities as a first step for this.

These kinds of deals benefit everyone: international students, Canadian students, as well as researchers and professors. Canadian universities should follow U of O’s example and try to reach out internationally.

We all have a lot to learn from academics around the world, and we have a lot to offer them in return.

International students should feel they can come to a school that isn’t just Canadian, but truly international.