The lack of women in leadership roles in classical music is starkly evident. The fact that gendered associations of certain instruments and roles in an orchestra still exist today is a glaring sign that the industry needs to become more equitable in its hiring practices.

According to a 2018 study by Orchestras Canada, only four of 26 professional Canadian orchestras with annual revenues over $1 million have female music directors. Sixteen of them have male board chairs while only 13 are led by female CEOs.

Female representation in the music industry is crucial in its success. According to a study by Women in Music Canada, a 10 per cent increase in gender diversity in leadership roles of music companies leads to a 27.5 per cent increase in live performance sales. This is crucial: Live performance accounts for the majority of the Canadian music industry’s revenue.

The music industry also has plenty of work to do in diversifying its racial composition. In a 2015 study of women employed in Ontario’s music industry, 89 per cent of them were white.

This representation of all genders and the inclusion of racial diversity are important because it allows young musicians to see themselves in the industry.

Ottawa Symphony Orchestra’s To The Girl Who Wants To Compose concert, for example, is an important step towards equality by featuring a program made up of six works of music composed by women.

The classical music industry in Canada has significant work to do in terms of elevating a diverse group of women into the leadership roles they deserve. 

Featured graphic from file.