Sometimes it can be all too easy to focus only on developing countries on an international scale when it comes to climate change and the environment. For instance, public-opinion data from 2021 found that Canadians want to play a global leadership role on climate.

But when discussing climate change some Canadians may forget about the communities within their own borders that also need support.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) Sixth Assessment Report is debatably its most daunting report yet, with much discussion on human wellbeing and a livable future. A press release from the IPCC highlights a quote from its chair, Hoesung Lee. Lee said the report “shows that climate change is a grave and mounting threat to our wellbeing and a healthy planet. Our actions today will shape how people adapt and nature responds to increasing climate risks.”

According to the Climate Action Network of Canada, many areas in Canada are already being impacted by climate change. Recent flooding and wildfires in British Columbia. are perhaps the most obvious examples in Canada, but there are still many underrepresented groups that are feeling adverse effects of climate change. 

The Government of Canada outlines this well, explaining that even though everyone will be affected by climate change, it will affect certain people and communities more than others. Those who have pre-existing health conditions, are more exposed to hazardous situations or face other challenges, may feel the effects of climate change more. 

Some factors include racism, poverty, disability, colonialism, homelesness, sex and gender, as well as access to health care. It is also important to acknowledge how Indigenous peoples and communities may face specific climate-related challenges differing based on factors such as geographic location. 

A recent article by the Indigenous Peoples Atlas of Canada addresses the particular challenges Inuit face in Arctic and subarctic areas. 

“The environment of risk that Inuit are born into is intensifing because of climate change. Changing ice patterns and unpredictable weather have caused experienced harvesters to change their hunting strategies in response to increased risks, especially since existing rescue facilities are inadequate,” the article reads. 

While climate change is affecting people on a global scale and Canada should always try its best to help those internationally, the country must also support its own country with increased economic and disaster relief for those adversely affected by climate change. Canada cannot turn its back on its own communities.

Featured graphic from file.