As many Canadian provinces loosen mask requirements, Canadians must be empathetic and inclusive towards those who choose to continue wearing masks.

While provinces such as B.C. begin to lift requirements for masks in public spaces, health authorities continue to encourage mask use in settings where people are unsure of the vaccination status of those around them. 

Entering public spaces in some parts of Canada without masks is a great step towards the freedom associated with the end of the COVID-19 pandemic. As case numbers decline, it is no surprise that Canadians are excited to return to some semblance of normal life.

However, Canadians must still be courteous to those who choose to wear masks even after they are no longer mandated by law.

In light of recent reports of harassment for wearing masks in B.C. and calls to harass those wearing masks from a popular American television host, it is crucial that Canadians continue to act with empathy.

Canada is fortunate enough to reach a stage in the pandemic where wearing a mask has become a personal choice. Individuals who choose to wear masks moving forward may do so for numerous reasons—underlying health conditions which prevent them from being fully vaccinated, concern over susceptibility to prominent variants of COVID-19, an abundance of caution after over a year of fear or even a desire to avoid less dangerous infections such as the common cold. 

Most likely, these people wear masks for the sake of protecting themselves and others.

Whatever the reason for continuing to wear a mask, the decision is personal and must be respected.

While moving towards a future without masks is exciting to many, Canadians must also remember that to return to a state of normalcy, they must treat everyone with respect. Spreading hatred towards those wearing masks is not the path towards post-pandemic calm.

Featured graphic from file.