University campuses should be a place where students feel safe as they pursue their education. This sentiment should not be limited to particular offices, centres, or rooms. All students deserve to feel comfortable on campus.

Equity Services and the Carleton University Academic Staff Association (CUASA) held their first voluntary faculty-only safe space training session at Carleton May 7. Faculty were able to address any questions they had and create allies with the GLBTQ Centre for Sexual and Gender Diversity. About 10 faculty members participated in training, according to Carleton professor Dan Irving.

Quite frankly, 10 is not enough.  This training should be made mandatory for all staff and faculty, ensuring that regardless of support, everyone can be held accountable for their words and actions.

At the safe space training session May 7, faculty were given stickers they could use to show students they were allies with the GLBTQ Centre and could be approached for support if needed.

With mandatory safe space training, not all faculty members should need to wear these stickers, which can continue to be an optional visual display of support.

Safe space training is not a part of every curricula on campus. Mandatory training would ensure that every faculty member is educated on the issue.

Students should not have to think about their safety or well-being while trying to get an education. The least Carleton students can ask for is that their professors be educated in making them feel safe.