One proposal is to make residences dry during frosh week. (Photo illustration by Rebecca Hay)

Revisions to make Carleton’s alcohol policy more “co-ordinated and effective” are passing through the pipeline and are due to be released this fall, according to director of student affairs Ryan Flannagan.

Many recommendations for the policy are being looked at, Flannagan said, but cannot be detailed as they are in draft form and not yet approved.

One proposal is to make residences dry during frosh week.

Flannagan said the university will have to give more thought given Carleton’s proximity to Quebec, where the legal drinking age is 18.

Several departments across the university, such as Health & Counselling Services, Campus Safety, and Equity Services have been involved in the revisions so far, he said.

“There was also a professor involved who has some expertise in the area of alcohol use,” he said.

He said input from almost 75 students was collected from student focus groups conducted in the fall of 2012.

The next steps before implementing the policy include consultations with the Carleton University Students’ Association and the Graduate Students’ Association, Flannagan said.

Currently, alcohol restrictions during frosh week include a contract signed by every orientation volunteer prohibiting the consumption and promotion of alcohol.

In addition, campus bars Oliver’s and Mike’s Place raise their drinking ages to 21.

As for other alcohol-related measures this year, Flannagan said the university will be focusing on responsible drinking during Capital Hoops, the annual basketball game between the Carleton and the University of Ottawa men’s and women’s basketball teams.

“In the past couple of years, we’ve seen increases in the amount of students being overly intoxicated, and that’s beginning to impact our relationship with the facility. We need students to do less pre-drinking while still having fun,” he said.

He said the aim is to have the policy in effect late November 2013.