Memebers of the Canadian military band march down Elgin St following events at the National War Memorial [Photo By: Jeff Pelletier]

Despite COVID-19 restrictions, people in Ottawa paid their respects on Remembrance Day in a smaller, more physically distant ceremony.

While a large traditional ceremony could not happen, dozens of veterans, Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members, relatives, and others came to pay their respects at the National War Memorial in Ottawa. 

People placed poppies on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Confederation Square, and members of community groups laid wreaths around the base of the memorial. 

Nujma Bond, communications manager for the Royal Canadian Legion National Headquarters, said that despite the pandemic, it’s still important to take the time to remember those who have served.

“I think Canadians across the country understand that we would not be living the kinds of lives we live today, and experiencing the sorts of freedoms that we have in Canada, were it not for the extreme sacrifices of our veterans [who have] passed,” Bond said.

Bond said she feels fortunate to have been born in a country that grants its people freedom and great opportunity. 

“I think that it’s so important, whether people were able to come down to the ceremony or to watch on television or on Facebook Live, to have that opportunity to show their thanks,” Bond said.

Bond added that particularly on her mind was this year’s national Silver Cross mother, Debbie Sullivan. As the national Silver Cross mother, Sullivan represents the mothers of Canada who have lost children in service.

Her son, Lieut. Christopher Edward Saunders of the Royal Canadian Navy, died in 2004 in a fire on the HMCS Chicoutimi.

“You think ultimately of all of the veterans who sacrificed and gave their lives so that we could be here today […] living the kinds of lives that we’re living and enjoying the kinds of freedoms that we enjoy,” Bond said.

Paige Runolfson, an Ottawa resident, said it is important to honour veterans and those who currently serve because of what they have given and continue to give us. 

Usually, more than 30,000 people attend the Ottawa Remembrance Day ceremony. But with health regulations preventing more than 100 people from gathering outdoors, the Legion and Ottawa Police had asked people to watch the ceremony from home.

Runolfson said that she feels that veterans, servicemen, and servicewomen should be remembered and honoured on a regular basis, stressing the importance of doing so especially on this day.

“We’re free. We can do what we want because [our soldiers] fight,” she said.

Featured Image by Jeff Pelletier.