(Photos by Haley Ritchie)

Do you long to express yourself with sticky pieces of paper, circa grade 3 – when your notebook that was decorated with stickers from the doctor’s office and scratch n’ sniffs? Do you find that today your options are limited to stickers of energy drink logos and skater shoe brands? Have no fear! Homemade stickers are here (although we haven’t figured out how to make them smell – yet).

What you’ll need:

Magazines
Packaging tape
Scissors

oDYI_HaleyRitchie-3_(WEB)1.) Start looking through magazines to find an image you’d want to make a sticker out of. It works best if the picture is small enough to fit on a single piece of packaging tape, but you can use two pieces side by side if you don’t mind a seam of overlapped tape. Once you’ve found your picture, cut it out carefully around the edges.

2.) Next, place the side of the paper with the image you want on the sticky side of the tape. Make sure the image is covered by the tape with no air bubbles.

oDYI_HaleyRitchie-2_(WEB)3.) Rub the back of the magazine cut-out with a nickel or penny to remove all air bubbles and make sure the paper is firmly adhered to the tape.

oDYI_HaleyRitchie-1_(WEB)4.) Run some warm water and place the tape and magazine piece under it. Gently begin to rub the paper off the back of the image. Be patient: as the paper rolls away, your image should remain imprinted on the tape.

oDYI_HaleyRitchie_(WEB)5.) Hang your sticker up to dry. Try to prevent the sticky side of the tape from touching anything or getting dirty.

oDYI_HaleyRitchie-5_(WEB)

6.) Once fully dried, the stickiness should return and you can cut around the edge of your image. Leave a little border around the picture to help it stick. Now you can decorate anything everywhere with anything you want to!

—@hyritchie