After a long fight with cancer, New Democratic Party (NDP) leader Jack Layton passed away Aug. 22 at the age of 61.

Layton announced that he would be taking a leave of absence as leader of the opposition to fight a recurring cancer July 25. He had previously fought, and beaten, prostate cancer in 2009.

“Love is better than anger,” he wrote in his final letter to Canadians, released on the day of his death. “Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.”

Layton’s letter also addressed Canada’s youth.

“I believe in you,” he wrote. “Your energy, your vision, your passion for justice are exactly what this country needs today.”

First-year political science student, Jonathan Whynot, was a NDP youth representative for Lunenburg, N.S.

“Throughout the [federal] election, [Layton] was able to visit and I had a conversation with him. He was so nice, down to earth and genuinely interested in what I had to say,” Whynot said.

Whynot said he recalls his first meeting with Layton.

“He told me when Parliament resumed, I could come and visit him in his office. It was incredible because it’s not something very many politicians would do.”

Shaun Banke, a clerk with the Carleton New Democrats, said Layton’s passing was extremely difficult.

“[He] approached politics differently, in the sense that he brought forward an honesty that we really don’t see as often as we should in the political game. [Layton] was a great politician because he cared, and because he didn’t spin messages.”

“Hand-shaking seems like an obligation to many of the higher-ups in the House, which is a shame,” Blanke said. “With Jack, of course, it was different.”

Ottawa-Centre NDP MP Paul Dewar reflected on Layton’s involvement with young people by remembering his energy, compassion, warmth, friendship and passion.

“He opened the door for youth by taking them seriously … He never forgot what it was like to be young and respected their contributions and listened without prejudice.”

Stephanie Buosi, a third-year history student, said she considers herself disengaged from the political scene for the most part, but Layton “changed that for [her].”

“He had charisma and made you want to listen and know more. I’ll miss listening to the debates and his speeches. It’s sad that I’ll never be able to hear that voice again.”

Layton was honoured by lying in state on Parliament Hill Aug. 24 and Aug. 25 and with a state funeral in Toronto Aug. 27. Thousands gathered with words of sentiment and hope in his honour, including a speech from former NDP leader Stephen Lewis.  Mourners left messages for Jack and symbolic items including cans of Orange Crush,

“Somehow [Layton] connected with Canadians in a way that vanquished the cynicism that erodes our political culture,” Lewis said in his address. “He connected whether you knew him or didn’t know him, whether you were with him or against him.”

Layton’s final words encourage Canadians to change the world. By remembering his legacy, ambition and power, it’s a call many will be surely honored to follow.