File photo by Nicholas Galipeau.

Thirteen dentistry students from Dalhousie University who were under investigation for the Facebook group “DDS Gentlemen’s Club 2015” have been partially suspended.

A hacker group under the name Anonymous threatened Dalhousie administration because of what they believe to be an improper reaction to the group.

The Facebook group has been accused of promoting misogyny and rape culture. There were several instances of pictures of girls being posted as sex objects as well as jokes about using chloroform and other drugs for rape.

Anonymous said the administrators of Dalhousie only began to deal with it when the story reached the media and that they had not done enough to punish the students, claiming they had learned of “other alleged incidents as well, where Dalhousie University suppressed complaints of outward sexism, sexual harassment, and even sexual assault,” according to their post.

Anonymous demanded the school hold a hearing panel for the students and begin steps to expel them, and threatened to release the names of the Facebook group’s members as well as Dalhousie staff members who they said “failed to act on this case.”

On Dec. 22, Dalhousie University decided to suspend all 13 students, but they did not publicly declare this decision until Jan. 5 so the students could be properly prepared. Anonymous has yet to respond to the suspension of the students.

Fourth-year Dalhousie student Heather Johnson said she believes the school did the right thing in suspending them.

“I’m glad the students did get suspended and that the school did something,” she said.