Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) vice-president (finance), Gabe Paraskevopulos, submitted his resignation Sept. 28. 

Paraskevopulos, a third-year Bachelor of Global and International Studies student, told the Charlatan that while he’s proud of the work CUSA has done so far in the school year, he disagrees with the direction the organization is heading towards in terms of advocacy.

Rather than being a “glorified party planner,” he said he wants CUSA to hold the university accountable on its finances and green initiatives. 

As CUSA’s vice-president (finance), Paraskevopulos said he hoped to analyze the university’s spending, but he did not have the power to do so.

“Even as vice-president (finance), I was not at a level where I could ask for us to … change our course towards being more activist,” he said. “Vice-president (finance) at other student unions has a role not only in creating the budget but analyzing … the university’s budget.”

CUSA announced the resignation publicly in a statement released on Oct. 3. President Anastasia Lettieri declined to comment on Paraskevopulos’ resignation other than the statement. 

“Gabe has been a remarkable student leader who has served students with great passion, dedication, and devotion over his term,” the statement read. “We are very proud of his accomplishments and are sad to see him go.”

Plans for a replacement

On Oct. 4, CUSA announced it would be hiring a new vice-president (finance). While CUSA’s executive policy states executive vacancies should be elected by council, the organization has a specific policy for appointing its vice-president (finance).

The policy states vice-president (finance) candidates must first be vetted by a committee consisting of the president, plus a CUSA director, two councillors not seeking election in the same year and a student-at-large, all picked through a lottery.

The committee must also include the outgoing vice-president (finance) and the director of human resources as non-voting members. 

CUSA vice-president (internal) Davin Caratao told the Charlatan the committee will first evaluate the candidates’ financial competence and eligibility under the Not For Profit Corporations Act then give council the final say.

The committee must select two to four candidates to send to council. Applications for the position are due Oct. 18.

As for Paraskevopulos, he said he will be focusing his efforts on analyzing how the university and the city can better serve students, specifically with issues in housing and public transit.

“I want to shine a light on the issues that remain,” he said.

With files from Dominique Gené.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.