Text:
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

The Ontario Superior Court of Justice has ordered that the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) not proceed with its non-binding referendum on its membership in the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS).

Justice Calum MacLeod ruled in favour of the CFS, saying the non-binding referendum appears to be a vote rather than an opinion poll and is framed to only present the costs of CFS membership. 

“The referendum question and the manner in which it is framed appears to be a clear attempt to circumvent the process set out in the CFS bylaws,” he said.

He added CUSA’s non-binding referendum seems to be “designed to avoid and subvert the regular process to which all members of the CFS are bound.”

CUSA president Anastasia Lettieri told the Charlatan CUSA plans to revisit the referendum in the future.

“This is a disappointing loss to all students across the country,” she said. “While we are being forced to end this referendum, we will not be intimidated out of continuing to serve the students we represent.”

She did not provide a comment on whether CUSA will seek to appeal the decision.

Binding referendums on decertification from the CFS require 15 per cent of students on campus to first sign a petition and deliver it to the CFS through registered mail. Referendums can only be held once every five years, according to CFS bylaws. CUSA can attempt to hold a binding referendum in October 2023.

CFS and CUSA lawyers have been granted time to discuss costs. 

Updates to follow as they become available.

Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.