Former CUSA president Matt Gagné. [File photo.]

Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) president Matt Gagné has resigned from his position.

The resignation was announced in a press release signed by the five vice-presidents on July 15 which voiced support of Gagné’s decision. 

“CUSA and Ravens United want to thank Matt for his service to Carleton, CUSA and the entire Ravens community,” the statement reads. “Matt is a friend, we support Matt’s decision and we will continue working to fulfil the vision students voted for when they elected Ravens United.”

According to an email sent to councillors by Ahmad Hashimi, vice-president (internal), CUSA council is still set to meet on July 26. Hashimi also noted he would step in as acting chief executive officer while council consults bylaws.

“We will retain legal counsel to assist in interpreting both the CUSA ‘The Association’ and CUSA Inc. bylaws on the steps necessary to move forward,” Hashimi wrote in the email. “While we are receiving this assistance, I will be serving as the acting chief executive officer and vice president internal.”

The CUSA governing documents linked on the organization’s website, including bylaws, date back to May 2018. According to the bylaws, a vice-president previously designated by the students’ council should take on the responsibilities of the president in the event of a vacancy.

The press release states CUSA’s democratic reform committee will continue reviewing the council elections process and that executives are still committed to their plans, including launching a mental health action plan, the anti-racism strategic plan and climate actions task force.

Gagné has been actively involved in Carleton student politics and leadership. He previously served as the Carleton Academic Student Government (CASG) vice-president (operations) before serving as CASG president. Gagné also ran as an independent candidate for the CUSA vice-president (finance) position before being elected as CUSA president.

In his letter of resignation, Gagné said he was leaving his position for personal reasons and thanked the council and the student body for their support.

“I am confident that I leave CUSA with an immensely capable group of amazing leaders that will continue to push for the changes we so passionately fought for,” Gagné wrote. “If Ravens ask what now, remind them the changes we championed were only possible through their support.”

This article was last edited on July 15 to include updated information on CUSA bylaws.

Featured image from file.