Home Features CUSA plans campaign to educate students about voting process

CUSA plans campaign to educate students about voting process

30

Maddie Adams, Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) vice-president (student issues), said she understands that Carleton students need to be educated on how to vote, especially due to the stricter policies under the Fair Elections Act.

“Our approach is to be as nonpartisan as possible just so we can educate students on the actual act of voting so that they can do their research and vote,” she said.

According to Adams, CUSA is launching their “Get Out The Vote” campaign this month. She said the strategy aims to get students both educated about the voting process and excited about the election. CUSA will be providing voter information from Elections Canada, and engaging students in a social media campaign to encourage Carleton students to go to the polls on Oct. 19.

“This week we’ll be filming a ‘voter mob’. . . where a bunch of students get together and get excited about voting,” Adams said. “It will be one of those social media movements where it spreads.”
CUSA adopted the idea from another group based out of Guelph, Ontario.

“This initiative came from an organization called Vote Savvy,” Adams said.

On Sept. 29, CUSA will end their campaign with a debate between political candidates in the Ottawa Centre riding.
According to an announcement on the Rideau River Residence Association’s (RRRA) website, the organization launched a new ad campaign on Sept. 10 to encourage students to vote and remind students that their voices matter.

The posters feature slogans like “Racists Vote,” and “Sexists Vote,” finishing with the phrase “Drown them out on October 19.”
According to the website, RRRA will host an all-candidates debate on Sept. 23 for Ottawa Centre candidates.