This year’s Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) operating budget saw big changes and cuts after students were given the choice to opt out of ancillary fees for the first time.

“It’s a masterpiece,” said CUSA vice-president (finance) Jacob Howell, presenting the budget at the Aug. 28 council meeting.

This year’s budget took into account an estimated loss of approximately $17,000 in student fees as a result of the Student Choice Initiative (SCI), which allows students to opt-out of paying fees that are deemed optional.

It also accounted for an increase in enrolment of 1.6 per cent.

Each Carleton undergrad who has opted-in will pay $35.76 in ancillary fees to CUSA out of their tuition. Those student fees will account for approximately $1.1 million of CUSA’s $2.5-million approved total general revenue.

The budget was presented almost a month later than the Aug. 1 date mandated in CUSA’s bylaws. 

Asked about this potential bylaw violation, Howell told the Charlatan it was caused by the uncertainty of opt-in numbers created by the SCI. 

Since students can decide to opt-out until Sept. 17, Howell said it was difficult to project accurate numbers for the budget until the end of August.

It remains unclear if CUSA will be sanctioned for the bylaw violation. 

CUSA is looking to present a motion at the next council meeting to change the bylaws so the budget can be presented later like it was this year, Howell said.

Among the biggest changes to the budget this year, he said funds for service centres increased “across the board.” 

While most service centres—including the health and wellness, disability awareness, and Mawandoseg centres—have seen increased funding, several others have not.

The Racial, Ethnicity, and Cultural (REC) Hall and the Womxn’s Centre both saw thousands of dollars worth of decreases in their total expenses. 

CUSA is also cutting down administration staff in light of the SCI. A front-desk position which was previously full-time will now be part-time, he said. 

CUSA-run Rooster’s Coffeehouse will see one less manager next year to cut down on costs, Howell added, also as a result of the SCI.

This year’s budget significantly cut down the vice-president (student life) portfolio, budgeting approximately half of what was actually spent last year in programming. 

“One of my big goals was to almost cut the fat of the organization,” Howell said, adding executives mutually agreed to spend less money on events this year.

“Especially with the SCI, just focusing a little bit more than just on the flashy—you know, shiny things—and more about the community-based events.”

The budget passed one vote shy of unanimity. 

“I wasn’t paying attention,” said Dami Fakolujo, the only councillor who voted against the budget. 

Photo by Bailey Moreton.