The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) approved a motion at its Jan. 10 meeting to allow students with disabilities to apply for academic funding if their other options through the Paul Menton Centre (PMC) have been exhausted.

The motion was first introduced as a result of a female student not being able to access funding for academic help from the PMC because she does not qualify for the Ontario Student Assistance Program funding from the provincial government, according to Ashley Courchene, CUSA vice-president (student services).  

The student was aware of the CUSA Accessibility Fund, but the rules around it were worded as though it only mandated for accessibilty to CUSA events and spaces, according to Courchene.

Her application was rejected, so the Accessibility Fund Committee collaborated with CUSA to produce bylaws and a motion for extra funding.

“What we wanted to do was create a safety net for students who come across this situation and are unable to find the funding that they need,” he said. “This would be like an alternative source of funding for the PMC.”

He said the issue has happened previously for various reasons, and that the motion will provide extra funding to students.

According to the Ontario Human Rights Code, a disability covers a range of conditions, can be visible or not, and can include physical, mental, and learning disabilities among others. 

Students with disabilities should go through the PMC and explore their options before the centre will talk to CUSA about additional funding if necessary, according to Courchene. Those who would like to access the funding will first need to register with the centre and provide documentation to CUSA.

“We set it up so there’s a portion of the Accessibility Fund that is allocated to this type of service for students. They’re allowed up to $1,000 for funding, and then a certain amount of the fund is allocated to helping students with accessibility issues,” Courchene said.

Larry McCloskey, director of the PMC, said students with disabilities have the Bursary for Students with Disabilities, which can be used for various academic reasons such help purchasing as software or laptops.

The PMC and CUSA will meet to discuss firmer instructions in the near future and will set up policies, which should be in place by February or March, according to Courchene.  

With extra funding, students who fall through the cracks for reasons such as their parents’ having high incomes and not being on OSAP will be able to access help and funding, Courchene said.

“If you buy the concept that students with disabilities have some barriers and costs related to them, then it’s one of the important pieces towards leveling the playing field,” McCloskey said.  

– File photo