In a casual conversation between two of the Charlatan’s editorial staff members and myself outside a committee meeting, the now infamous words were uttered, recorded, and made available for all to hear. A private conversation between students became public, and, appropriately so, the exchange of words were taken very seriously.

The entire conversation consisted largely of discussing business and subject matter pertaining to the next Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) council meeting. The conversation, by and large, was a productive and healthy exchange of information between journalists and politicians.

I understand that my comment was insensitive and offensive. I apologize for any offence taken by anyone regarding the sarcastic response I made in response to the Charlatan editorial staff member. I want to make it clear that I am vehemently opposed to violence of any form, particularly violence against women. I regret making this comment, and in hindsight should have reacted differently to the question that was posed. This was a tough learning experience, but I now understand what I did was wrong.

As for the comment made on my Facebook wall by another student, I apologize. I do not have control over what is posted by other individuals on my Facebook wall. As such, I have taken this opportunity to drastically reduce the ways in which my friends and colleagues can communicate with me publicly via Facebook (and Twitter).

However, as already stated, I oppose violence against women and understand the severity of the issue. I was not even aware of this comment made on my Facebook wall until it was brought to my attention at the council meeting by another councillor. As soon as I was aware of this comment, I removed it from my Facebook wall. Outside of council, I expressed my displeasure with the individual responsible and have removed him from any leadership positions within my organizations on campus.

At the end of the day, in all instances the buck stops with me. I have taken corrective measures to curtail any future incidents regarding Facebook (and Twitter). I also sincerely hope that my apology can be accepted. None of the comments made were appropriate regardless of context, but none were made as a serious threat. Regardless, after this experience, and especially as an aspiring leader, I will be watching future commentary more closely in both public and private spaces.

Students, whether or not we realize it, do look at councillors as role models. We need to ensure that our behaviour is cognoscente of this reality. From this point on, I intend to educate myself and advise those around me that violence against women is not a joking matter. Hopefully, this experience can teach all of us to be more mindful of what we say to ensure campus is a safe space for all.