Executive candidates in the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) election faced off in a wide-ranging debate on Jan. 30 in the University Centre Atrium.

Topics of the debate included reforming CUSA service centres, the association’s relationship with the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS), and addressing rising tuition costs.

Vice-president (student life)

The first question asked the candidates for vice-president (student life), Abdullah Jaber (One Carleton) and Donna Al Sououb (Change), to name two events they each wanted to bring to campus.

Jaber promised to bring an “A-List” artist to campus for a performance and to create a new CUSA spring break over the winter reading week in 2018.

Al Sououb took issue with Jaber’s promise to bring an “A-List” performer to Carleton.

“You need $80,000 for a B-list artist, the only way to do that is cut,” Al Sououb said.

The second question was how the candidates would ensure events are inclusive of the entire undergraduate student body.

Al Sououb said she wants to create an alcohol-free night at Oliver’s, while Jaber said he would introduce cultural events at the on-campus bar.

“I want to stress it’s the 75th anniversary and it’s important to have the best year of all time,” Jaber said

Vice-president (student services)

The next round of candidates, Zophia Brobio (Change) and Alexis Oundo (One Carleton) were asked what service centre they thought needed the most improvement.

Brobio’s focus was on the Food Centre, which she felt needed improvement as food security “is a big issue on campus.”

For Oundo, she said the Health and Wellness Centre needs the most improvement to better mental health support for students, and spoke of increasing Rainbow Frosh funding to make the event more inclusive.

The second question asked the candidates what new services they believe students need.  

Oundo proposed a winter frosh to welcome new students, as well as increasing accessibility for women’s menstrual products and creating a women’s-only space on-campus:

“We need to make our students feel comfortable and safe,” she said.

Brobio continued her focus on food insecurity amongst students:

“I want to partner with the [vice-president] student issues for a breakfast program to address food security,” she said.

Brobio then took issue with Oundo’s proposed international student identification card, claiming that such a plan would result in increased CUSA fees for students.

Vice-president (Internal)

With the addition of an independent candidate, Ruth Lau MacDonald, the debate soon gained a wider variety of proposed platforms, joined by Ahmad Araji (Change) and Cat Kelly (One Carleton).

MacDonald highlighted the benefits independent candidates can bring to the executive as opposed to slates.

“We need to centre our students as owners so we get value for our money,” she said.

Araji spoke of his desire for “real change” and how his slate can bring it about, and Kelly promised free printing on-campus should she be elected.

The first question asked how the candidates will get students to be more involved with CUSA Council.

Kelly said she would bring monthly townhalls to help executives listen to the needs of students, as well as a collaboration fund to increase cooperation between council members and clubs and societies to best serve students.

Araji said his priority would be better training for councillors, and promoting counselling services.

MacDonald continued her stance promoting more student interaction and feedback, saying she will get councillors to talk to students about issues.

The second question asked candidates for their thoughts on how representative CUSA Council is of the student body, and how they plan to improve it.

Araji highlighted how representation between faculties is varied, and aims to equalize faculty representation in council.

MacDonald said her main issue with the council’s representation lies in its lack of engagement with the student body.

“We don’t mean it when we say we want to engage,” she said.

Kelly said that increased polling, surveys, and town hall meetings will help council members listen to students’ needs.

“I understand that CUSA is not only about listening to students, it’s about hearing them,” she said.

Vice-President (Student Issues)

Candidates Danny Ford (Independent), Alexandra Noguera (One Carleton) and Kenneth Aliu (Change) took to the stage.

Aliu opened by stating: “There’s a spectre of divisiveness on our campus.”

The first question asked the three candidates how they plan on addressing rising tuition fees.

Aliu highlighted his previous involvement in the Day of Action protest for free tuition, and promised to lobby both provincial and federal governments to lower fees for both international and domestic students.

Noguera said she also shared Aliu’s desire to lobby governments, and expressed the need for a scholarship coordinator and increased financial literacy amongst students.

Ford differed in his approach from the other candidates, and said he sought internal cuts to CUSA’s agendas and yearbook programs, which he said are “not serving students.”

The moderators then asked the candidates what they felt to be the most important issue Carleton students face, and how they plan on tackling it.

Each candidate mentioned sexual assault and changes to Carleton’s Sexual Violence Policy in their answer.

“I am disgusted by the current sexual violence policy at Carleton,” Ford said

Aliu said having a student government that is willing to stand up and be verbal regarding student issues is important, whatever they may be.

“Silence in the face of injustice is complacence,” Aliu said.

Vice-President (Finance)

As candidates Greg Owens (Change), Victoria Lalande (Independent) and Gavin Resch (One Carleton) made their way to the stage, the moderators informed the crowd of a subsequent change in the debate format. Candidates from this point on would now have to answer three questions.

Candidates focused on their respective qualifications for the debate in their opening statements. Lalande described the real-life experience she gained over the years as a third-year business student, while Owens mentioned his experience being on the Board of Governors. Resch spoke of the basketball team’s budget management, which he was assigned for two years.

The first question asked the candidates two measures they would implement to make CUSA more financially transparent.

The candidates spoke of better access to the CUSA operating budget, with Resch promising monthly updates to the budget. Lalande talked about sending students the budget on their Carleton email accounts. Owens said students will be able to decide regarding CUSA operations, and proposed a call to examine potentially better deals businesses can offer students on-campus.

Lalande advocated for financial literacy courses for students.

“Financial transparency is very important to you, you guys should be aware at all times of your budget,” she said.

The second question was how the candidates will ensure that CUSA businesses remain profitable while still serving students.

Lalande said CUSA businesses should overall be cost-neutral, stating that Oliver’s was able to run a deficit this year due to Haven Books’ reported surplus.

Owens was quick to criticize her statement.

“I appreciate that we’re a not-for-profit business, but that’s a non-business,” he said, instead proposing the introduction of themed events such as wing night, queer night, and dry night to boost Oliver’s revenue.

Resch’s solution was the introduction of a loyalty program available for students using CUSA businesses to increase turnout.

The final question concerned the candidates’ plans for financial support for on-campus clubs and societies.

Resch promised a collaboration fund to help clubs and societies host more events, while Lalande said she would set up a sponsorship pool, seeking out businesses to sponsor clubs and societies. Owens proposed a more direct approach, offering $1,000 from each member of his slate for support.

“I want to bring you savings, I want to keep working together to make this campus less divisive,” Owens said.

President

Candidates for President were the last to debate. The first question asked candidates what their relationship with the Canadian Federation of Students would be like if they were elected.

One Carleton presidential candidate Zameer Masjedee criticized the CFS for recently revealed hidden bank accounts, and said CUSA has the ability to run its own awareness campaigns.

“I want to make sure we run a defederation campaign because the misuse of student funds is not something we stand for,” Masjedee said.

Carson Fischl, an independent candidate, said he is not a fan of the CFS, but would pay off any outstanding debt to them.

Caleb Broeker, also an independent, said he would put the question of defederating to students.

Ashley Courchene, presidential candidate for the Change slate, said he understands students’ frustration with the CFS, but that CFS campaign material should be available through CUSA. CFS material is not currently available through CUSA as of 2011.

The second question asked the presidential candidates what they would do to increase student trust in the association.

Courchene said his slate’s idea to have a series of general assemblies would help build a connection between students and the CUSA executive, while Masjedee said his completed campaign promises from last year would help him gain trust.

Fischl said that he would be able to gain the trust of students by being a political outsider and not part of the “clique” running the association.

Broeker said his pink policy, to implement direct democracy at Carleton and make all decisions based on student opinion, would help CUSA gain the trust of students.

The last question posed to the presidential candidates asked them what they will bring to the position that past presidents did not.

“I like to think I choose logic over politics for the best interests of the student body,” Masjedee said.

Courchene said that he has dedicated himself to Carleton and brings authenticity to the position.

Broeker said that what separates him from past presidents is that he has no prior experience with the association, something he is happy about.

Fischl said that what makes him stand out is that he does not have prior experience with the association and is not corrupt.

After questions from the moderators were finished, members of the audience had the opportunity to ask questions. This portion of the debate was stopped, however, and the debate was ended early after disagreements between audience members escalated. 

Two campus safety officers were called out to the scene shortly after.

– Photo by Angela Tilley