Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Carleton students making their way through the University Centre atrium March 16-20 could stop by an exhibit for Islam Awareness Week on their way to class.

Islam Awareness Week is an annual event put on by the Carleton University Muslim Students’ Association (CUMSA), and each year the week is centred around a different theme. This year’s theme was mercy.

“The reason why we chose mercy was because it’s the essence of our faith, it’s very comprehensive, and it’s one of the foundations of our faith,” Miriam Katawazi, the vice-president (external) of CUMSA, said.

“It’s a way of showing the central element of our religion, which is the idea of mercy and the idea of compassion and mercy towards all,” Katawazi said.

CUMSA event co-ordinator Amer Daouk said the main goal of Islam Awareness Week is to educate people about the practices and principles of Islam.

“We’re here to educate people. We’re here to talk to people and engage in open dialogue and discussion,” Daouk said.

Visitors entered the exhibit through a red gate, and walked onto a large cardboard cutout laid on the ground in the shape of a body. Positioned at different parts of the body were displays relating the concept of mercy to Islam. CUMSA members were around to answer questions.

Daouk said the shape of the exhibit was designed to showcase principles of Islam.

“There’s a story where the Prophet Muhammad said that the whole community is like one human body. If one organ complains, the rest of the body complains,” Daouk said. “We decided that we wanted to have it as a human body to show that everything is connected to each other. That if one organ fails, the rest do.”

Beginning in the head, visitors were able to learn about the importance of obtaining knowledge. From there, the exhibit proceeded to the heart and its relation to the soul.

“What we’re trying to do is explain what Islam says about the soul,” Daouk said. “It’s actually very important, but unfortunately, it is neglected.”

The hands were dedicated to mercy towards the environment and the community, and featured tips on how to preserve and treat the environment and people.

In the legs, visitors were able to learn about inner and outer peace through displays on women’s rights and mental health.

Volunteers collected funds for the Carleton University Students’ Association Food Centre and the Sadaqa food bank. Last year they raised $10,000, and they’re hoping to raise even more during this year’s event.

Katawazi said that every year, the reaction to the event is positive.

“The purpose of Islam Awareness Week is to allow people in the Carleton community to have an opportunity to come and learn about Islam and what the religion is about,” Katawazi said.

“People come and they really enjoy the activities and stuff that we have, they enjoy speaking to the people,” Katawazi said. “We have fun, the people that come have fun and it’s a good experience.”