The Carleton University Dance Crew (CUDC) hosted their second annual showcase on March 12 at Southam Hall.

The amateur dance crew said they strive to plan and perfect their routines for the annual event throughout the school year leading up to it.

“When the new executive team meets up for the first time, we talk [about the] showcase. Everything that we do is about this one show that we have going on,” Shianne Bailey, CUDC president, said.

The show consisted of three hours of dance numbers, spanning a variety of styles and musical genres. The show’s theme—time—tied together all the performances.

Their representations of the different eras of dance started out with the 1950s and visited different innovations and fads from the following decades, finally concluding with some modern showcases.

The ‘90s era was especially a hit with the millennial audience who attended, as it was a relatable time of childhood.

“Childhood is very precious to me because that was what inspired me—just these little dances that made me want to dance too,” crew choreographer Ugochi Ndukwe said.

The event hosts were former vice president (event coordination) and choreographer of CUDC Antya Elliott and Isaiah Griffith.

They engaged the audience in between eras and solo performances with casual banter.

Former presidents of the CUDC were found enjoying the show in front row seats, showing their full support of the continuity in this dance community.

Towards the end of the show, the dancers paid tribute to their former crew member and vice president (communications), Julia Gregoire, who passed away in a car accident in the summer of 2015.

A video was played in dedication to her for the audience to share a moment of reminiscence with the crew.

At the end of the video, the crew members performed a Nicki Minaj tribute to Gregoire in honour of her presence and impact among their community of dancers.

“Jules brought us together and was a connecting tool between us,” CUDC member Yvonne Osagie said.

Bailey honoured the parents of Gregoire, who had been invited to be part of the showcase’s audience on behalf of the crew. They were invited to stand up and receive a bouquet of flowers as well as a hoodie that was personalized for Julia.

“We’re still in contact with her parents. We’re like their way of connection to her recent life because we were all she knew,” Bailey said.

When asked about the role of dance in their relationships with one another Ndukwe said, “What makes CUDC, is that literally every member loves to dance, and it doesn’t matter what style: African, Carribean or hip hop. It’s what makes everybody try hard to perfect it and stay on the same page.”

The crew is strictly amateur, for the purpose of bringing together dancers of all experience levels and styles, to connect and share their passion in a meaningful way, as well as to socialize.

“There’s no audition. You just come out and dance. You just pay your membership fee and just dance with us. If you love it, just come around,” said Klyne Moniz, a crew member in his second year of aerospace engineering.

The night ended with a dance party on the stage by the crew’s members, as people made their way out of the theatre.