Heather Anderson is Carleton University Art Gallery's new curator. (Photo provided)

Carleton University Art Gallery  (CUAG) announced Heather Anderson as the new curator on Aug. 27

Anderson succeeded Sandra Dyck, who became director of the gallery on July 3.

“Heather brings extensive knowledge of and passion for contemporary art, an exemplary record of curatorial projects and publications, and diverse work experience,” Dyck said in the announcement.

“She will make a fantastic addition to the CUAG team,” Dyck said.

Over the span of her career, Anderson has worked for the Mount Saint Vincent University Art Gallery in Halifax, and the National Gallery of Canada (NGC).

While at the NGC, Anderson acted as assistant curator of contemporary art, later focusing her attention on Canadian artists as assistant curator of modern Canadian art, according to the release.

At the NGC, exhibitions Anderson curated included Contemporary Drawing: Recent Acquisitions and Adams Demand Farmer in 2010.

She also curated Walid Raad/The Atlas Group/Jayce Salloum/Hong Hao in 2009.

Anderson has also expanded her talents outside the province with her curatorial work.

In 2012, she curated Sounding Selves at the Dalhousie Art Gallery in Halifax and We Declare Art A GATS Free Zone in Grenoble, France and Venice, Italy.

She has also had her art criticism featured in publications such as Arts Atlantic, Canadian Art, C Magazine and Blackflash.

Not only is Anderson experienced in curating art, she is also accomplished in creating it. Anderson’s own work in oils, acrylics and watercolours can be seen in private collections in Canada, the United States, Brazil and Japan.

This, combined with her education in fine arts, art history and fashion design create a wide knowledge base from which Anderson can draw inspiration, Dyck said.

Anderson is set to begin her curatorial duties at the CUAG Sept. 17.