Grace Odumo (right) owns and runs 613Style.com

It is not an everyday feat to collaborate with company Michael Kors for an Ottawa-based website, but it is shaping 613 Style’s future.

Last year was only the beginning for the Ottawa-based lifestyle blog and website, with editor-in-chief and second-year Carleton communication studies student Grace Odumo at the reigns.

But when Michael Kors came knocking at 613 Style’s door, the pieces started falling into place.

613 Style was able to livestream the American designer’s Fall/Winter 2013 collection and is continuously invited to press events around the Ottawa region.

This opened multimedia opportunities for the website, an essential step in its growth.

“We’re launching 613 Style TV, which is really inspired by our Michael Kors collaboration,” Odumo said.

613 Style’s success as a brand was not instantaneous. Fascinated by the world of fashion and events in Ottawa, Odumo stumbled upon the nearly abandoned website that shaped her future in Ottawa’s tight-knit lifestyle community.

Odumo began writing for the original owner, Jamie Blades.  Two years later, Odumo’s moment in the spotlight arrived when she spoke out against Elle Canada for an article they published about American singer Beyoncé.

“When Beyoncé got pregnant, they were like, ‘Oh, Beyoncé got knocked up, how hot is this baby mama?’” she said.

Unimpressed that a pregnant and married woman was being discussed in this way, Odumo spoke up and wrote about it on 613 Style.

The Canadian style magazine then issued an apology that caused 613 Style to garner over 50,000 hits in a single day.

This prompted Odumo to purchase the website for herself.

“[When] I had it I was like, ‘what do I do with this big old website?’” she said.

Odumo posted ads asking for help in revamping and redeveloping 613 Style as a brand, and found her three top contributors. “Me and a bunch of Js” took their respective niches on the website.

Between events editor Janice Gourgues, beauty editor Jasmin Bollman, and photographer Julia Agris, they cover nearly every major and minor event in the Ottawa region.

Carleton communication studies alum Janice Gourgues has been with 613 Style since late August, and is hopeful for a future filled with opportunities.

“I’m already inspired by her work ethic,” she said.

“Just the fact that she took 613 Style, believed in it and took it this far, so far. We’ve accomplished so much and we’re excited to do more for Ottawa.”

Gourgues admits that Odumo is a hard-working person, and feels empowered through her administrative skills and motivation.

Buying the signature 613 Style logo of the woman with a laptop on a couch, registering as a business, and rebranding the website are all steps Odumo took to bring 613 Style to the next level.

The editor-in-chief’s mother, Pamela Odumo, is equally proud of her daughter’s achievement thus far.

“She has done a lot. A lot of people are calling, she’s doing a lot of interviews, I am very happy for her. She will go far,” she said.

“I am very proud. It’s a dream coming true.”

Poised and wearing an outfit only a true fashionista would describe as “thrift and fresh,” Grace Odumo feels only excitement when it comes to 613 Style’s future.

“Big things poppin’, little things stoppin’,” she said.