Ottawa Jazz Festival performers from June 29 are featured in a graphic.
Cory Wong, Tom Wilson Tehoh’ahake, Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra and Louis Cole Big Band take the stage at Ottawa Jazz Festival June 29. [Graphic by Angel Xing]

TD Ottawa Jazz Festival attracted large crowds at Confederation Park June 29. After a rainy and overcast day, the sun peeked through the clouds to welcome jazz fans to a night of soulful music.

Guitarist Cory Wong and his band first emerged onstage. As a beat pumped through the air, the crowd swarmed closer to the stage to meet his upbeat energy. Quickly, jazz fans in the audience bobbed their heads. Some even showed off their dance moves.

Behind Wong was an eight-piece brass and percussion band. The distinct sound of each instrument added depth and cohesiveness to the melodies.

Wong kept his energy high throughout his set with fast-paced riffs and undeniable technical talent on the guitar. He made use of the entire stage space by dancing along to the beat and interacting with his band members to create an auditory and visual spectacle.

While the star of the show was Wong’s genius for most of the performance, he would frequently step back and allow other artists to shine while playing fan favourites such as “St. Paul,” “Bluebird” and “Airplane Mode.”

During his set, Wong invited klezmer clarinet player Michael Winograd onstage, who was set to perform at the festival the next day. Wong and Winograd melded their sounds to create a soothing rhythm that provided a nice break from the high energy of previous songs.

Wong’s eccentric show went on for 30 minutes longer than scheduled, ending as the crowd’s energy and the air started to cool off.

Jazz Festival stage at Confederation Park is featured in a graphic.
Ottawa Jazz Festival’s TD Stage, located in Confederation Park. [Graphic by Angel Xing]
As audiences moved on from Wong’s upbeat performance, many walked across the street to the more intimate OLG Stage to see Tom Wilson Tehoh’ahake, who stepped in to perform at the festival last minute after Les Filles de Illighadad cancelled their performance. 

Wilson was gracious about being postponed by Wong, encouraging crowds to “open [their] hearts to love.”

Just himself, an acoustic guitar and his captivating storytelling abilities, Wilson’s stripped-down set and humorous personality enthralled audience members for the next hour.

His performance included storytelling interludes between each song where he revealed personal anecdotes from his rebellious youth. He used music to bring life to his bestselling book, Beautiful Scars, while expressing his “two paths” as an Indigenous person in Canada.

Near the end of his set, Wilson invited his son, singer-songwriter Thompson Wilson, onstage to perform one of Thompson’s original songs, Dreams Come and Go. Everyone in the audience hushed to listen to the father-son duo meld their harmonies perfectly together before heading off to the third performance of the night.

Back at the TD Stage, Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, led by Wynton Marsalis, saw the biggest turnout of the night as bright lights illuminated the stage beneath a darkening sky. 

The performance introduced the musicians in turn, each taking the spotlight in a synchronized back-and-forth while maintaining a cohesive harmony. 

The orchestra’s setlist was a mix of original compositions and music by significant jazz musicians such as Thelonious Monk.

Their original compositions often provided thought-provoking musical and spoken commentaries on the past and present realities of racism.

Crowds lingered until after dark to witness Louis Cole Big Band close the night. The band’s unique and funky style contrasted the orchestral sounds that previously filled the air.As the grounds of Confederation Park cleared out, each musician had successfully instilled their passion for jazz into the hearts of audience members after a night of eclectic and soulful music.

Featured graphic by Angel Xing.