Photo Illustration by Trevor Swann.

Time is running out for Canada’s two largest universities to avert a strike and reach collective agreements with two unions representing contract instructors and teaching assistants.

At the University of Toronto (U of T), Unit 1 of the CUPE 3902, which represents about 6,000 members, most of whom are TAs, has not reached an agreement with the school as of Feb. 25. The union has until midnight Feb. 27 to reach an agreement with the school or its members could strike.

Unit 3 of CUPE 3902, representing contract instructors who teach about 35 per cent of classes at U of T, reached an agreement with the university on Feb. 19.

Erin Black, co-chief negotiator for Unit 3, said its members’ top priority during the round of negotiations was job security.

Black said while the union does not disclose the details of the agreement until its members successfully vote on it, she said they “achieved a number of provisions related to [job security].”

Meanwhile, CUPE 3903, which represents contract instructors and TAs at York University, have until March 3 to reach an agreement.

The union, which represents 6,700 members, held an 85-day strike in 2008-09 before being legislated back to work by the Ontario government. It was the longest university faculty strike in Canadian history.

The union wants better job equity and security, improved graduate funding, and lowering fees for international students, according to James Clark, chief steward of Unit 1 of CUPE 3903.

About 64 per cent of undergraduate classes are taught by CUPE 3903 members, Clark said.

On Feb. 23, U of T’s vice-provost Jill Matus posted an online statement to all students informing them the school will remain open if a deal isn’t reached by Feb. 27.

The statement also said the university will take steps to “continue [their] academic programs and activities” so students will be able to finish classes and programs as scheduled.

Unit 1 and the university are scheduled to meet Feb. 25-26.

“I think small movements have started to happen but there are still some pretty big outstanding issues between the parties,” Black said.

Thomas Przybycien, a second-year immunology student at U of T, said he’s worried about a strike affecting his classes.

“If the TA strike does occur, many of my classes will be affected—particularly tutorial intensive classes,” he said.

CUPE 3903 and York will have its last three meetings on Feb. 27, 28, and March 1.

“It’s now up to the university to show some significant movement during bargaining, in order for our members to get a fair contract,” said Faiz Ahmed, chair of CUPE 3903, in an email statement.

On Feb. 22, CUPE 3903 began mobilizing its members through “Strike Preparation Week.” Members were encouraged to attend meetings covering topics such as strike tactics, logistics, and picketing.

Joanne Rider, director of media relations at York, said in an email statement the university “is fully committed to the collective bargaining process and remains confident that a negotiated settlement can be reached without any disruption.”

Michelle Kearns, a fourth-year environmental and health studies student at York’s Glendon campus, said a strike would not only affect classes but also her jobs.

“I work two non-union jobs on campus, one a work-study and one not. If the campus were to go on strike and essentially close, I will be losing a lot of hours and money. As a non-union worker, I can’t picket to recoup money,” she said. “I’m a student with backup funds, but what about those who rely on the weekly income from campus jobs to pay rent and buy books?”