2014 was full of amazing, weird, quirky, and intense films. As our reading week edges closer, so does the 2015 Academy Award ceremonies, where these films will compete to take home Best Picture of the Year.

My favorite film of the nominees is Alejandro G Inarritu’s Birdman. It features Michael Keaton, Zach Galifianakis, and Emma Stone in a surreal non-stop play about a washed-up actor who struggles to find a place of importance in the world. The brilliant acting, camera angles, and originality of Birdman gives it a huge lead above the other films.

Clint Eastwood’s American Sniper is right behind and has received so much publicity that many people assume it is going to win. But this film weighs so heavily on propaganda it feels like you’re watching a film about the tragedies of American war, while also promoting war. This film may win, but it definitely doesn’t deserve it.

Richard Linklater spent 12 years directing Boyhood, and boy, does it ever show.

This film allows you to watch the progression of a boy from age 5 to 18 in only a span of a few hours. While this film contains a lot of dedication, it doesn’t stand out much from the crowd.

Selma was a beautiful, amazing film but the best thing about it was David Oyelowo who was extremely overlooked in the nominees for best actor. So my guess is this film will be overlooked too. Oscars are looking a tad white this year.

The Theory of Everything is a beautiful recap of Stephen Hawking’s life and Eddie Redmayne will probably get the Oscar for Best Actor. Whiplash is one of my favorite films of the year, but it can’t compete with the production values of other films. J.K. Simmons is high in the running for best Supporting Actor though, which he incredibly deserves.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is the weirdest film out of them all and I’m surprised such old white American men of the Academy Awards Voting Committee would enjoy a film like it. From the camera angles to the dialogue, the film is odd and quirky, but isn’t going to win best picture.

The Imitation Game is still a huge contender in the mix and rightly so. But while being an amazing film, the most amazing thing about it is the true historical events that are attached to the film. Being the first film to publicize the actions of Alan Turing, the film also takes a stab at gender rights and homophobia. Benedict Cumberbatch is nominated for his first Oscar, but the section of Leading Male Actors has so much talent, it’s hard to tell who will win.

To recap, my picks are:

Best Picture: Birdman

Best Director: Alejandro G. Inarritu

Best Actor: Eddie Redmayne

Best Actress: Rosamund Pike

Best Supporting Actor: J.K Simmons

Best Supporting Actress: Emma Stone