[Photo from file]

For the Ottawa Senators and their fans, the past four years have been difficult following a gut-wrenching overtime elimination from the third round of 2017 Stanley Cup playoffs. With their core players that season having since moved on, the Senators have found themselves in the bottom half of the standings with only high draft selections to show for it.

This season, most fans are expecting Ottawa to be out of the playoffs once again. After all, the team is developing and still one of the youngest in the league. That being said, there’s a world in which everything goes right and the grit and hard work the Senators implement on the ice brings a return to the playoffs.

Last year, the Senators managed to prove themselves and give their rivals a tough time. Despite not making the playoffs, they undeniably put in the effort each night, making opposing teams earn their wins against Ottawa.

They were the only team last season to not be shutout. The fact that the team with the 23rd best record in the league was the only team to do so shows a lot about the Senators’ character and tenacity.

Head coach D.J. Smith’s coaching system aims to be more defensive. With the young core maturing, Smith’s system could be extremely efficient in the upcoming season as players improve, leaving room for surprises.

However, many project the Senators to finish behind five arguably more talented teams in their division alone. The Tampa Bay Lightning, Florida Panthers, Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs and recent Stanley Cup finalist Montreal Canadiens are all expected to finish in front of the Senators in the standings.

The tough division may be difficult to overcome, but it isn’t impossible, especially with the players Ottawa has on the ice.

The forward core is currently led by big power forward Brady Tkachuk. Tkachuk is a fan favourite to become the next team captain. He has captivated fans and scared off opponents since his arrival in the league with his big physique and nose for the net. Impressively, he finished second in the league in both hits and shots on goal last season. Once he is re-signed, he will continue to be a major asset for the Senators.

Tkachuk is joined by sophomore forward Tim Stützle, who dazzled opponents with his blazing speed last season at just 18 years old. The German forward is set to become a valuable player alongside Tkachuk to lead the Senators to an eventual postseason appearance.

To complement these two stars, American forwards Drake Batherson and Josh Norris both had breakout seasons, finishing with 34 and 35 points respectively.

On defense, minute-munching Thomas Chabot continues to lead the charge for Ottawa. Chabot  gained experience last year with his average time on ice of 26:17, good for second in the league behind Drew Doughty. He is set to pave the way for younger defensemen such as Jake Sanderson, Erik Brännström, Jacob Bernard-Docker and Lassi Thomson once they make the team over the next few years.

Division rivals may be difficult to overcome, but the Senators’ young core has endured tough competition and shown their tenacity. If opponents take games against them as wins for granted, they will hit a wall. If the stars align, expect Ottawa to meddle with the league’s expectations and surprise many.

Fans can rest assured that this will be an exciting season regardless of the standings, but the day when the Senators book their ticket to the playoffs could be closer than what many anticipate.

Featured image from file.