Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.

Ballots have opened for the only contested seat on the Carleton Academic Student Government (CASG) council. Two candidates are running to represent the Bachelor of Global and International Studies (BGInS) program. 

The ballots opened on Monday, Sept. 27 and remain open for 48 hours. BGInS students will receive their voting information and ballots by email.

Francesca Lepore 

Francesca Lepore is second-year student and a CUSA councillor for the Faculty of Public Affairs. She said she believes the CASG seat will “complement and strengthen my ability to represent students in both positions.”

Lepore said she is a person with strong values. 

“Advocating and representing students, it’s an important part of my character,” Lepore said. “The importance of student voice is what has driven my passion for leadership.”

Her platform is based on three core values: transparency, communication and collaboration. She pledged to use social media to inform BGInS students of events within CASG and solicit their suggestions and feedback. 

“I hope to bridge the gap between CASG and BGInS students by sharing opportunities and CASG’s work with the students,” she said, “And that’s ultimately why I ran.” 

Lepore said she does not have any specific policies planned for her councillorship. However, having recently learned of the compassionate grading renewal, she said she was happy at the news and wants to see more academic initiatives of the sort.

In addition to her position on CUSA council, Lepore is the vice president (internal) for UNICEF Carleton. In her free time, she enjoys swimming and reading.

Anthony Valenti

Anthony Valenti is a second-year student and chair of the BGInS Society Equity Committee and vice president (education) for the Mock Trial Club. He said the CASG position would be an opportunity to work toward much needed improvements for students.  

“I’m a strong believer that this university could be doing so much more for its students that need it,” Valenti said. 

Valenti has established goals for himself if elected to CASG council. He said his focus would be on broadening access to financial aids, such as bursaries and scholarships. He believes that during the pandemic, it should be easier to retain a scholarship. He also believes that academic relief bursaries should continue beyond the pandemic.  

“It shouldn’t solely exist because we’re in a pandemic. It’s help that a lot of students can profit from,” Valenti said. “And if the university has the money, which it does, then I believe it’s the duty of CASG and CASG councillors to get that money out to students in the form of relief.”

Valenti said he would be a good fit for the position because he is outspoken.

“I’m a staunch advocate, I say stuff even when people think I shouldn’t […] I think that we need someone in student government that’s ready to advocate for students, and I hope that I am that person.”

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.