If clubs and societies want funding from the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) in upcoming years, their executives must opt in to the association’s ancillary fees. 

The new bylaw introduced Aug. 28 comes in the wake of the Student Choice Initiative (SCI) which allows students to opt-out of fees deemed optional by the provincial government.

“If not all [executives] are opted-in, that club or society will not be deemed a CUSA-certified club,” said vice-president (internal) Farook Al-Muflehi. “We want to make it fair for all clubs, so we’re having them be opted-in.” 

When decertified by CUSA, student organizations can lose their ability to use the university’s name as part of their identity, as well as their capabilities to book classroom space or hold events. 

Decertified clubs can have certain privileges revoked, such as access to the Student Activities Fund or to use campus facilities to get new members.

At the meeting, vice-president (student issues) Sissi De Flaviis also spoke about her new upcoming “Membership Matters,” campaign. 

“It’s about the Student Choice Initiative and what CUSA offers to students,” said De Flaviis. “It’s providing information on how you can opt in and opt out.” 

Students have until Sept. 17 to decide whether they want to opt out.