Charlatan Live is the Charlatan's weekly audio show. [Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

Charlatan Live is the Charlatan’s weekly show about Carleton University’s latest news, stories, arts and sports.

This week, host Isaac Phan Nay talks with news editor Mark Ramzy about the Carleton University Student’s Association (CUSA). 

To read more about these stories, click the links below:

We would like to acknowledge that we are living, working, and operating on the traditional and unceded territory of the Algonquin nation.

As settlers on this land, we are committed to prioritizing Indigenous voices and learning how we can support the ongoing movement towards decolonization and anti-racism.

Follow us on your favourite podcast platform if you want Charlatan Live streamed, beamed and delivered through machines straight to your face once per week.

Want to send a message to the hosts? Use this form: https://forms.gle/AAnsPEwgQ94it8vd7 

This episode featured “Cinematic Documentary” by Lexin_Music, a news transition by Mix Kit and “Catch It” by Coma Media.

TRANSCRIPT

INTRO

Hello and welcome to Charlatan Live. The date is Oct. 21, 2022.

This week, we’ll speak to the workers you may have seen picketing across campus last week. We’ll also sit down with one of our news editors, Mark Ramzy, to hear what’s new with CUSA. 

My name is Isaac Phan Nay. 

Let’s get into some news.

CUPE 4600

A union representing workers on campus is negotiating a new collective agreement with Carleton University. 

The union, called CUPE Local 4600, is split into two units. One unit represents contract instructors and the other represents teaching assistants, service assistants and internally funded research assistants. 

Each unit has their own collective agreement.

Together, CUPE 4600 represents nearly 3,000 workers. 

The union’s previous contracts expired at the end of August. 

Now, the union and the university are looking to come to a set of new agreements. 

Before negotiating, each of the union’s bargaining teams has to set protocols of bargaining. 

On Sept. 19, members of the union picketed on campus.

Davide Ventrone is a master’s student of political economy at Carleton University. 

CLIP: VENTRONE1 “YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT THIS IS TECHNICALLY A FULL-TIME JOB AS WELL AS BEING A STUDENT.”

Ventrone is also vice-president (external) of CUPE 4600 and a member of the union. He said the union would be negotiating for higher wages. 

CLIP: VENTRONE2 “TAs DO NOT MAKE A LOT OF MONEY, AND NEITHER DO CIs. TAS USUALLY MAKE ABOUT $11,000 A YEAR. ANYBODY WHO LIVES IN OTTAWA KNOWS THAT THAT’S NOT ENOUGH TO LIVE.”

The union is also asking the university to create a single body to handle the human resources concerns of contract instructors, teaching assistants and research assistants.

Cheryl Cundell is the chair of the bargaining unit for contract instructors.

CLIP: CUNDELL1: “YOU KNOW HOW THERE IS THE PMC FOR STUDENTS. WE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOMETHING LIKE THAT IN PLACE FOR CONTRACT INSTRUCTORS, FOR TAs AND FACULTY.”

Cundell said now, CUPE 4600 workers deal directly with a university department. She said creating a single body would standardize worker accommodations and job expectations.  

CLIP: CUNDELL2: “WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE THAT BECAUSE THEN THERE WOULD BE HOPEFULLY MORE CONSISTENCY.”

In an email to the Charlatan, Carleton University spokesperson Tara Jackson said the university is optimistic it will reach an agreement with CUPE 4600.

OUTRO

This episode featured original reporting by Dominique Gené, Mark Ramzy, and Myles Bodie. Production by Isaac Phan Nay.

To learn more about these stories, visit charlatan.ca. 

That’s C-H-A-R-L-A-T-A-N dot C-A.

This episode featured “Cinematic Documentary” by Lexin_Music and a news transition by Mix Kit. You’re listening to “Catch It” by Coma Media.

We acknowledge that we are living, working, and operating on the traditional and unceded territory of the Algonquin nation.

Thanks for joining us for the Charlatan Live Radio Show. I’ve been your host Isaac Phan Nay.

We’ll see you next week.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.