Carleton University forward Lloyd Pandi (41) is awarded the Mike Moser Memorial Trophy for player of the year at the 2022 U Sports men’s basketball national championship award ceremony held at the Westin Edmonton hotel in Edmonton, Alta. on Thursday, March 31, 2022. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

Carleton Ravens forward Lloyd Pandi took home the 2021-22 U Sports men’s basketball Player of the Year award during a ceremony at the Westin Hotel in Edmonton, Alta. on Thursday night.

He became the ninth Raven to win the award and first since Connor Wood in 2017. Pandi was also named a first team All-Canadian.

“I’m humbled and grateful,” Pandi said after the ceremony. “I’m really blessed and I give all the credit to my teammates and coaches and God.”

Pandi beat out Alberta’s Tyus Jefferson, McGill’s Jamal Mayali and Cape Breton’s Osman Omar for the honours, his second major national award after being named Rookie of the Year in 2019-20. He was also named Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East MVP last week.

Read the rest of the Charlatan’s nationals coverage here.

In 14 regular season games, Pandi finished with double-digit point totals in all but three games and recorded five double-doubles. He averaged 14.7 points per game and shot 54.7 per cent from the field.

In the OUA, Pandi ended the season in the top 10 in field goal percentage, free throw percentage, defensive rebounds and rebounds.

“It hasn’t really sunk in yet because right now I’m in game mode,” Pandi said. “After the season’s over, everything will sink in and I’ll appreciate the moment because it’s really surreal.”

The Ravens will face the University of Victoria Vikes on Friday at 10 p.m. ET in the quarterfinals of the national championship at the Saville Community Sports Centre in Edmonton.

Carleton head coach Taffe Charles was named a finalist for the Coach of the Year award but was beat out by Alberta’s Barnaby Craddock, who received the honours for the second time in his career after leading Alberta to the first perfect season in team history.

Former Carleton forward Tajinder Lall, who transferred to the Brock Badgers after four seasons with the Ravens, was named a first team All-Canadian.

Ryerson Rams forward Aaron Rhooms took home Rookie of the Year, while Benjamin Hillis of the University of Regina received the Student-Athlete Community Service award. Defensive Player of the Year went to Alberta’s Jefferson.

The tournament will begin at 3 p.m. ET on Friday when the Brock Badgers face the University of Saskatchewan Huskies.