[Image from File]

Carleton’s tunnels are closed for the rest of the winter term, leaving many students’ lives disrupted.

Carleton announced on Nov. 2, 2021 that the tunnels were to remain under restricted access. CUScreen ambassadors only allow students to use the tunnels to travel to the cafeteria, Residence Commons and residence buildings. They restrict access to the tunnels underneath the rest of campus including those connected to the academic quad, recreation facilities and the Health Sciences building.

Natalie Kanyi, a first-year psychology student, said they were confused by the restriction.

“I don’t understand why they’re closed,” Kanyi said. “If we’re allowed to socialize in the cafeteria [with our] masks off…what’s the difference passing each other in the tunnels?”

Some students rely on the tunnels. Kimberley Chiasson*, a fourth-year journalism student, said that she wouldn’t be able to take a full course load on campus without tunnel access. Chiasson is a disabled student with cerebral palsy who lives in residence because of the convenience of the tunnels.

Chiasson uses a powered wheelchair and said she needs the tunnels to get to her classes, especially in winter months—her chair gets stuck on any unplowed side walk.

Steven Reid, a spokesperson for Carleton University, emailed the Charlatan about the closure.

“This restriction supports the university’s COVID-19 response plan and is expected to be in place throughout the winter months,” Reid wrote. “[Carleton] will continue to evaluate existing safety measures to make sure they are in accordance with the most current public safety advice available.”

Reid added the tunnel is open to those who need it for accessibility purposes, pending approval of a request

“But it is just an extra step that disabled students have to go through,” Chiasson said.

Chiasson said the request-based system is also difficult for people who have less visible disabilities.

“It’s another step the university is taking that makes [disabled] students have to validate themselves,” Chiasson said. “I understand they want to limit the traffic due to the pandemic but it seems unfair to [disabled students] to put an extra strain on having to prove what you need and why you need it.”

Other students said the tunnel closure is an inconvenience to their academic lives. Paiten Marshall, a first-year criminology and criminal justice student, has been taking classes and doing homework in his room in residence. Marshall said the tunnel closure combined with Ottawa’s frigid winter weather discourages him from leaving his room.

“I need a quiet place to work and a library is a good place for that,” Marshall said. “I haven’t been going to the library because it’s so cold and I don’t want to make the travel all the way over there. It is impacting my studies.”

At the time of publication, the university has not informed students when the tunnels will reopen. 

*Kimberley Chiasson has contributed to the Charlatan.

Featured image from file.